Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Quadra Island - Petroglyphs

Good morning! My goodness, look at the view out our lodge window! I totally missed that last night in my exhaustion.

This is nice!!

Let's have a look around here this morning.

Hmmm... the lodge says that there are petroglyphs down on the beach on some granite boulders... Optimum viewing is 10:30 am (combination of sun and tides). (And yes... this adventure is getting posted weeks after we were there!)

Wow... what a grand hall!

Alright... let's go find some petroglyphs...

I think they are this way...

Cool... not a petroglyph but interesting...

Ohhh... these are interesting... they are apparently part of the petroglyphs but just indentations in the stone that someone carved 1000s of years ago...

It's a good thing Mama knows her rocks otherwise I think I'd be looking at all the volcanic boulders as well.

Hmmm... maybe I can see some from up here...

Ummm... help?! Stuck!!!

OH!!!! I found one!!! Do you see it??

It's a face of someone...

Carved into the stone...

And here's another one!!! Some of those round indentations and a face...

I think this one looks like an angry sasquatch...

And another one!

This one looks angry too...

Apparently there are more than 50 petroglyph boulders... we found 4 which is pretty good I think...

There's an eagle up in that tree! Do you see it? Mama, can you get a better picture?

Ah... OK... much better picture!

11 comments:

  1. The Grand Hall looks awesome. A perfect place to have the Stuffy convention.

    The picture your Mom got of the eagle is amazing - great shot. I didn't know if you know this or not but I read some petroglyphs, those all say "Feed Little Bears Salmon".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really!? That's amazing!! I will make sure that I pass that along... rumour has it that we are looking at procuring some salmon through... er... you know... surreptitious dealings. Shhh...

      Delete
  2. Those sure are a lot of rocks! Did you see any images of little bears? Surely there were little bears around back then...how would the humans survive without us to manage things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I wasn't quite sure if some of them could have been little bears... hard to tell. I am pretty sure there were little bears around back then, quite primitive perhaps...

      Delete
    2. Primitive perhaps, we agree, but certainly WAY more advanced than the humans.

      Delete
    3. NeanderBears...and Cro-MagnoBears

      Delete
  3. Neanderbears!!! Oh that's good!! and Cro-Magnobears. I like that! Jerry and Ben are right. I think humanity would have evolved much more quickly if they had recruited little bears as supervisors much earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Certainly they would have learned to fish much faster.

    ReplyDelete