Thursday, August 21, 2014

Wood and Berries

Well... I am off on an adventure. Mama whisked me away from my beary good book and off we went on her bike. We are on a mission apparently...

We have a small bucket...

An ax...

 An ax??? Really??? I hope we have a first aid kit too!!

And a pruning saw.

Are we pruning somewhere?? Or chopping something?

We are down by the abandoned farm... Mama says we need some apple wood. Old apple wood. Dry apple wood. Why??? She won't tell me... sigh.

Well, this old limb is pretty dry and dead. Will that do??

Yup... and now it's time to do some sawing... ugh....

Ummm... I am not a lumberjack! I think I need some help...

Well... there we go... a chunk of apple wood...

Now, back into the backpack... with the ax and the saw and the bucket... and the chunk of wood. It's getting crowded in here!

Along the way, we stopped to check on the apples This old tree is pretty cool... it fell over long ago but kept on growing.


The apples are coming along nicely. Soon we can pick some and make apple sauce!

And... hmm... those aren't apples up there... I wonder what those are?

Ohhhh... I know what those are... those are blackberries!!!

It's blackberry season!!! But I am not going in there... no way, no how. Look at those thorns! I would have the stuffing ripped out of me...Nobody told me to wear jeans and a long-sleeved shirt...

I will just sit here by the bike and guard the bucket lid. Off you go, Mama... go for it!!! I'll be the cheering section.

Oh... they do look delicious!!!

Well... that is not toooo bad... they are delicious! Not like the hard, under-done things you get in the stores sometimes.

And yes... there were some scratches... Did we have a first-aid kit? Nooo.... Mama took it out of the backpack because it was too heavy and took up too much room. Sigh... Next time she promises to wear jeans... Uh-huh... Another case for Dr. Sandy MB!

By the way... any ideas what we are going to do with old apple wood??

12 comments:

  1. Those berries look bearygood, Blackberries are one of my favorite berries but sometimes I just settle for berries from the store instead of picking them myself (too many thorns for a little fox). The adventure you took looks like lots of fun, did you wear a helmet while on the bike? No first aid kit, did you at least pack the bottle opener in your back pack this time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blackberries are super delicious but beary protective. It is always an adventure picking them. Mind you - the ones in the store here are $5 for a pint!! I was in the backpack so didn't need a helmet (I think)... Mama did wear a helmet... and I am no longer sure what is in the backpack... apparently I have been slacking off in my supervisory safety role!

      Delete
  2. It sure is lucky to have a medical bear along when there are scrapes! For the apple wood, if you have an outdoor smoker, you could smoke some sausages with the apply wood. We bet it might even be nice in a fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm... you are climbing up the right tree with the outdoor smoker but... not with sausages... something better!!

      Delete
    2. Oh, apple wood smoked salmon would be super yummy!

      Delete
    3. Heh-heh... you'll see in the post coming tomorrow!

      Delete
  3. I forgot to ask, was the book you were reading the one your wrote last November?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Errr... no... that is still rumbling around in its original manuscript form. I keep tugging on Mama's pant leg about needing to do some editing of the computer manuscript but... other things have priority apparently. Sigh... must wait.

      Delete
  4. We can't wait! Jerry's tummy is grumbling already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if that could be sent in the mail... hmmmm....

      Delete
  5. Oh no, is Dr. Sandy's services going to be needed again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently... Dr. Sandy is being kept quite busy by these clumsy humans!

      Delete