Sunday, August 5, 2012

Toblerone Park

Sandy was riding his bicycle (or rather... riding shotgun on Mama's bicycle) when he saw a small park with some very strange things in it. They look sort of like pieces of Toblerone chocolate!
Except they have holes in them... which, of course, are fun for a little bear to play in!
Sandy could play hide-and-seek in one of these for a while...
But what are they? And why are they here?
A bit of hunting and Sandy found a maple leaf plaque in a small wall... hmmm... that usually means something military.
It turns out that these concrete pieces of Toblerone are replicas of tank traps, used during World War II in Europe. Put a whole bunch of them in a big field and the tanks wouldn't be able to maneuver through/over them. They are also called "dragon's teeth". They were used extensively on the Siegfried Line during the war. Even today, some countries still use them (the Korean De-Militarized Zone - and Switzerland!). Sometimes they are called Toblerone Lines (really!).

8 comments:

  1. If only they were made of chocolate *daydreams about eating them*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just don't try to take a bite of those giant Toblerone Sandy, because you'll break a tooth! If, however, you do find that they are filled with chocolate, then let us know immediately and we'll be beary happy to come and do a taste test with you, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it is very funny that they are called toblerone lines, because a lot of people in the world know what it looks like when you say that. But I think my friend Dilly prefers dragon teeth! Do you know Dilly? her address is in the sidebar of my blog, where all my friends are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, it's me again :-)!

    Forgot tot tell you that during our backpacking I saw something that I tried to explain to you in my post about the cows on the dike by Urk. So this time we could make a picture, I'm sure you'll understand it now :-) and hope you already did the last time :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sullivan - alas - no chocolate in sight - but one of those would be enough to keep a little bear going for a beary long time! Or a little pig!

    @Jerry and Ben - no... no biting allowed. So far I haven't even found a chocolate wrapper anywhere near them - but you never know... they would make a great Easter Egg Hiding place!

    @Hammie - Yes - Toblerone Lines are very descriptive... but people might also think they are made from chocolate. I know Eldritch the Dragon - I will have to visit Dilly's blog too! I will check out your new and updated pics of the cows by Urk (what a cool name!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. But Dilly would wrap pink ribbons around them with big bows to make them pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hav yu ever notist the BEAR on the packet of Toblerone???? I think it is cos the word for mowntain sownds like Bear. I don't noe. But thare is defnitly a Bear on the mowntain. Mummy dident spot this FOR YEERS!! Hav yu seen it????

    Oh! An did yu reed my old post about Toblerones? The wun abowt Bishops hiding them under theyer hats? TEEHEHEHEHEHEEE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Bob T Bear - I was in a store today and stared at the Toblerone package looking for a bear... I saw a fish but no bear! But then... came home and yes... there is a bear in the mountain!

    ReplyDelete